Lefkas Town is the capital town of Lefkada and lies on the north-east coast, linked to the mainland by a swing bridge over a narrow causeway and, in recent years, by a road tunnel.
The town is dominated by the 13th-century Agia Mavra fortress, reinforced by the Venetians but today only a shadow of its former self, having suffered greatly from earthquake tremors.
It was an earthquake in 1948 that brought extensive rebuilding in a wide variety of architectural styles with many houses having brightly painted upper floors of built of wood.
The main shopping street of Lefkada is pedestrianised and runs from the central square to the port with plenty of tavernas and bars clustered near the harbour end.
The large harbour is well sheltered and a newly built marina has around 600 berths. Beyond the marina lies a huge lagoon and beyond that lies the beach area to the north-west.
The beach strip is mainly pebble and shingle, stretching for several kilometres, with Agios Ioannis and Yira beaches the best with shingle and sand backed by low dunes and windmills.
Conditions here are ideal for windsurfers and several clubs are based on the exposed coast. Kastro beach is popular with the locals while Amoglosa beach is a long strip of sand near the lighthouse.
Lefkas Town is noted for its cultural events with an arts festival in August, a good archaeological museum and several fine churches